Thursday 31 January 2019

Rocking Horse Fly Sculpture


Something a bit different tonight on the blog; with an open call on the horizon, I (Ben) decided I wanted to try doing a sculpture piece as a change.  I had a large number of the mini Rocking Horse Fly models (which I'd designed way back, for the Wonderland call at Rydal Hall, and subsequently laser cut for sales; with a new design about to go into production, these are surplus).


I wasn't sure how to display them though, until I saw this display jar for sale, and the idea of something like a Victorian display piece came to mind.  I decided to make a base of a stylised tree, and (keeping with the Victorian theme) base it on a model I'd seen in a museum in Northumberland, where the whole thing was done in gloss black.


The tree was cut in MDF on a hegna saw.


The base was built up from polystyrene blocks, cut to shape...


...then covered in filler.


For a bit of added interest, I also added some of these laser-cut long grass pieces, which were glued down then covered in filler.


After spraying in several coats of gloss black, I super glued the rocking horse fly pieces into place (using three frosted acrylic examples).




I borrowed a suitable mantelpiece to photograph the final piece on...



I was very happy with how the final piece came out, and reckon I might knock up another couple of these at some point.  A nice break from the usual work anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment