Friday 18 June 2021

First go with resin casting...


I (Amy) have been having a bit of a play with something new to me, resin casting.  I've been wanting to try this for a while, and had the opportunity recently to acquire some materials to finally have a go.


First step, out to the garden, to pick some bits of foliage, which were then pressed flat.


I bought a set of silicon moulds for the test, to make some trinket boxes for the kids.


There were also two moulds for making rings.


After leaving it all to properly set, here were the results.


The square boxes came out quite nicely...


...but the more interesting designs seem to be the most eye-catching.


Box on its own...


...and with a lid.  There have been the odd problems with air bubbles I didn't manage to get out of the mix when it was setting, but then this is all a learning process for me.


The rings were a little more difficult to find a use for, but then we decided to have them as purely decorative items outside.


Again, a slight problem with air bubbles, but something I'll be keeping an eye out for on the second batch.  Otherwise though, this was a fun first test with the resin casting, and I'm looking forward to trying something more complex next time.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment