Sunday 26 September 2021

KWVR 37 and Ivatt at the start of the heatwave


More from the Worth Valley, and (finally!) a chance to photograph some trains in the sunshine; this was right at the start of the heatwave that hit just before the summer holidays.  I (Ben) had only managed some quick pics around the northern (Keighley/Ingrow) end of the branch through the Spring, and I wanted to get back down to the countryside end of the line for some pics.


A favourite of mine from the KWVR's fleet is the Ivatt tank in the special red livery (the home-designed colour scheme it first wore when the line was reopened in the late 1960's, and into which it was restored for the 50th Anniversary event a few years ago).  The above was actually a chance shot, the loco was out on test one weekday whilst I was walking to the station, and it blasted past me.


The following Saturday was the first Real Ale Diesel Day of the season, and I'd arranged a morning to be out taking pics on the railway.  The Class 37 was doing the honours, and passed me whilst I was running errands on my normal patch, before heading up towards Haworth for a couple of hours.


I wanted to use this as an opportunity to try some new angles for shots that have been opened up by recent building work.  This is up near Haworth.



Bit more of a traditional location, the top-field.


This was a new spot for me, walking right through the nature reserve near Haworth Station.  Not a great spot, and a bit of a pain in the arm (literally, I brushed against some plants and both arms came up in a hideous rash which worried me quite a bit; there's been a lot of giant hogweed in the valley this year, and I was worried I'd brushed up against some).


I've gathered since that the railway doesn't like people in this area.  Even though there is technically a footpath, some of the staff consider it trespassing when there are photographers up at this bit.  Still, worth ticking off the list given I've heard the nature reserve is up for redevelopment into housing in the next couple of years.


Back up to Top Field.


Final shot.  Well, it was nice getting back out to get some photographs and try some new angles, but the various injuries picked up rather took the shine off things.  I'll be honest, I'm starting to run out of locations I'm happy with on the line.  Maybe I need to do a bit more exploring, or start going further afield for my photographs next year...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment