Sunday 13 November 2022

Night Shoots on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway; October '22


Night photography of trains is something we used to do a fair bit of, and the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway running evening services for their Beer and Music Festival this Autumn gave me (Ben) a good chance to get some fresh shots.  In fact, with the hours I'm working in the Day Job, this was about the only way to squeeze in some railway photography at all recently...


First stop, Thursday night, down by the river at Damems.  The sky was lovely and clear, and having missed the Keighley-bound service by a few seconds, I set up for the return.


Not bad, but not quite what I was after; I'd have liked a better reflection, but the river was carrying a lot of water.  I wasn't helped by the rather poor lightweight tripod I was having to use, having stupidly left my better one in Wales back in August after the Inflate-Deflate shoot...


Not happy with the countryside shots, I headed down to Ingrow Station, which was eerily deserted.  Thursday is always the quietest night of the festival.


The Pacer emerging from the tunnel, and lens-flare city.


Not a perfect shot, but I liked the slightly soft-focus effect.  It did show just how mucky the lens was (a consequence of rushing-out for the shoot without properly checking the kit; it still had saltwater spray from the beach shoots on the lens).


A quick clean of the lens for when the train returned.


A shot I'd been wanting to try for a while; not too bad, but probably too brightly lit.


On a whim, I nipped up to Oakworth.  The solitary member of staff seemed surprised to see anyone gracing his station, but he was welcoming.


Pacer arriving over the level crossing.


My favourite shot of the night, just a shame the moon went in behind the clouds five minutes before the train arrived...


The rest of the festival saw steam-hauled services, and I nipped back out to get some shots.  Again, I was somewhat foiled by the poor tripod, and this time Ingrow was a bit too busy. 


The Black 5 waiting to leave Ingrow; I'd have liked a shot with more of the tunnel mouth in view, but there were heaps of rubble from the recent Civil Engineering works.


An attempt at a countryside shot up near Haworth, with the 37 pulling the train... not quite what I was after, but not bad.


A daylight shot to finish up with.  Probably too weird to get noticed by the mags, but I did manage to get a Pic of the Day feature on the railwaycentre.com:






 

No comments:

Post a Comment