Monday 12 June 2023

Flying Scotsman


With the famous "Flying Scotsman" visiting our railway for a month, and spending a great deal of that time parked at the station a few minutes away, it would have been daft not to pay a visit to look at the loco. 


What with one thing and another though, the one day we had free was somewhat overcast.  Photographing a dark green loco on a dull day in front of green trees is not easy...


It looked a bit better in greyscale.


Getting the Scotsman has been a big coup for the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, and it's certainly drawn the punters.  My own feelings on it are mixed.  I do like it, but I don't get the hype.  The livery is also dull and boring; my fond memories of it, and cabbing the loco, are when it was in LNER light green when I was a kid.


In terms of getting pics of the loco running, that would be trickier; it was with us for a month, but only running over the bank holiday weekend, when we were going to be away.  There were some trains running on the Thurs and Fri, but I was working... except, I was off on a training course Friday, and managed to get back in time to see a late-afternoon run.


A dive into the car park at Haworth, and a sprint down to Mytholmes Lane, netted me a good spot, though the lovely weather of the morning had become a tuppaware sky.



The greyscale option didn't work as well this time either.

I headed for home, and thought I'd get the next run-past at my usual spot by the river at Damems...

...which was being staked-out by a big group of the local teenage thuggery, who celebrated my arrival with a lovingly thrown rock, then a demand I return their rock.  Lovely.


The best I could manage, right before they started following me.  If they'd been a bit less stoned and more co-ordinated, they might have made a better go of mugging me I suppose.

So yeah, a pretty poor showing, and didn't bode well for railway photography over the holiday.  Happily, however, things were to improve markedly once we got to Wales...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment