Monday 4 July 2016

Ipod Camera experiments in Birmingham



A belated post this, back from earlier in the year, in Birmingham.  We were in for the day with the Foster Childs, and walking from a museum through a patch of the city I don't often go...


One factor here is that I didn't have a proper camera, but the camera on my recently-acquired Ipod seems far better for miniatures and close-ups than any of the compact cameras (at least, the ones which have survived the attentions, albeit accidental, of The Childs).  So I thought I'd try it out on architectural shots.


It does allow me to get up close and odd angles fairly easily.


And so down onto the canal, with a nice mix of the old route cutting through modern developments.


I was quite taken with the modern bridge over the old tunnels, and the camera coped quite well with the unusual lighting down here.


A little washed out with the tuppaware-lid sky.


On towards the Ikon Gallery, and I'd forgotten about the water feature which references the canals of Birmingham...


Very much the old and the new in the centre, as the concrete-cancer-riddled old library is dropped, with the older surviving architecture outlasting it.  I admit a sneaking liking for the brutalist architecture of 'old' Birmingham, the dirty, smelly, graffiti-covered city I used to visit as a child in the late 80's and early 90's, and I wish I'd paid a bit more attention to the place with a camera when I still lived locally...  The camera on the Ipod coped pretty well with focussing, and a little digital zooming.


The trip ending as any should, with a pot of tea.  Photographed mainly for the nice 'shabby chic' teapot, with its fake rust patches.  Very nice, and the sort of quick snapshot the Ipod camera is perfect for.

In fact I was impressed with the little camera- the old days of carrying around a half-brick sized compact camera are gone, and apart from the drain on the battery, its a handy little feature of the device.  More experimentation called for with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment