Tuesday 4 August 2020

Bridge 11... the story continues


Remember way back when the world wasn't going to pieces?  As a railway photographer with a connection to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, I (Ben) was asked to help out by taking some pictures to record a small part of the works to replace Bridge 11 at Ingrow, a spot I'd taken many photographs at over the years.


Like this...


...and this.


They got as far as removing the old bridge (a process I photographed)…  Then Lockdown happened.


And this was the last railway photograph I took just as things went into Lockdown, the railway removing the crane and gear for safekeeping.

OK so the world isn't fundamentally different or better now, but at least work has restarted on the bridge.  From a selfish point of view, that means I can take photographs of trains again on my favourite railway line, and from a slightly less selfish point of view, it means that the railway will be able to reopen in some form and stand a fighting chance of surviving this bloody mess.


I knew work was going to be restarting soon enough, but the arrival of the works train caught me slightly by surprise, though I did manage a few shots in the afternoon.  I was a bit out of practise and not only managed to miss a couple of easy shots, I then realised it had been so long since I used the SLR that there wasn't enough room on the memory card.


The weather wasn't terribly good, and the same again for the Saturday.


Sunday dawned far brighter; "Vulcan" at the northern end of the worksite, with the BLS crane in the background.


I went for a walk in the woods with The Childs but had to divert a different way back, due to some of the lovely local residents on their scrambler bikes spooking the kids by riding high-speed down the footpaths, so we missed the arrival of the 20 and 08 to the worksite.


They left the worksite later in the afternoon, towing the crane away, and I managed some rather better shots later in the day.


So back to taking railway photographs again, something I'd really been missing :)


No comments:

Post a Comment