Monday 31 October 2022

Miniatures Shots at Tanygrisau


This one should probably be on the Model Making Blog, but being as that is in the middle of a rather major reboot, I (Ben) thought I'd put it on here.


There's something to be said for working during a heatwave- outside under a gazebo, cup of tea to hand, and paint and glue drying-times nicely accelerated by the warm weather.


I'd set myself a target of doing a kit per month (the Monthly Mindfulness Minikit), trying to do a kit for around, or under, a tenner.  I'd build it, then do something creative with it.  The kit this time was one of the wonderful Binnie Kits tipper wagons for 32mm scale.  I blew the budget on the kit, so the track was very much built from scraps...


Visual reference from the Slate Museum in Llanberis.


The wagon wasn't even undercoated; all I had to hand were some Wilko test-pots, so various shades of brown were sponged on, then some drybrushing added, before it was hit with gloss varnish.  Scraps of plastic strip from the spares box provided the rails, offcuts of hanging basket liner, and lolly stick sleepers.


Ground cover was from slate, and on the way back from a day out in the north of Wales, I called in at Tanygrisau, and with Elder Child assisting, scrambled up to one of the abandoned slate tips.




Greyscale test, to help try and blend the bleached-out grass of the hanging basket liner with the slightly more lush actual greenery at the location.



I really like this sort of thing, shooting miniatures out on location, particularly doing forced-perspective photographs.  I'm tempted to try some more of these next year.



No comments:

Post a Comment