Friday 25 August 2023

Abstract Tangles; more mucking about with beach balls


Just a quick post tonight, that I (Ben) should have got around to posting before we went to France.  This was a very short-notice shoot -like, the night before the deadline- when I spotted the open call on the Curatorspace website.

The theme was 'Abstract Tangle', for an online show with www.cistaarts.com

Having had some success earlier in the year with the "Inflate-Deflate" series, shot outdoors, I decided to go right back to the roots of the project, and shoot something the way I had at Uni.


It even used the original beachball from the project (nothing like using a 15 year-old prop; most people consider beach tat like this disposable, so I suppose that's quite a responsible attitude, using them for so long), as well as several more, as I'd bought out all the remaining stock the shop had when I found out the owner was retiring this year.  Lacking a studio, I made do with a lot of black bedsheets, some string, and an inspection lamp.


There wasn't a lot more to it than that- I just tried to get some interesting compositions.


A few close-ups too.





I genuinely wasn't sure if they'd bite, but whereas this project was once popular, then wasn't for a while, the art world seems to have swung back around to bright, colourful, and weird (which I blame the 90's Revival for, but I suppose I shouldn't complain).


Here's the link to the show:




 

No comments:

Post a Comment