Monday 30 October 2023

KWVR... Reference shots of the Railbus


I (Ben) tend to struggle a little with railway photography in the Autumn; most preserved lines tend to cut their services back to weekends (and frankly, the long hours of the Day Job mean weekdays off for photo purposes tend to be few and far between), and so I end up having to fit it in around the general freelancing, and family events. 


The Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Beer and Music Festival being a case in point; we made a couple of special trips out for night shoots, though struggling to fit those in, and I'd planned to get a couple of daylight shots on the Sunday whilst waiting for the shops to open, the only free time I had. 


Out bright and early, I was pleasantly surprised that the W&M Railbus was out on a turn; it wasn't rostered, but I needed some beauty shots of it for a model-build article I'm working on.


However... 


...lighting was an absolute pig.  Not being able to properly recce and plan where to shoot, just having to snap pics from nearby wherever I was during the morning, meant I wasn't in the spots with the best lighting.  The unit was only doing two return trips early doors, and there wasn't time to wait for the sunlight to hit the embankment here at Keighley.


My reserve spot nearer to home was also vexingly obscured by shadows cast as the low Autumn sun hit the trees.


It was a bit better up in the woods near Damems, though the shadows were still an issue.


Still, I tried to make the best of it.  Luckily I have some archive pictures of this unit (the W&M is a personal favourite, and I've snapped a lot of pics of it over the years), so they can go in the article instead.  The night shoots around the gala were rather more successful anyway, so we'll be posting those shortly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment