Friday 27 January 2017

Sent to Coventry...Part Two


The first and before this visit, only, time I (Ben) went to Coventry was a school trip to the car museum, or Transport Museum as it is now.  I fancied going back for another look, and to snap some photographs.  No set plan, just a case of get the camera out and see what inspired. 


The museum is looking very smart- the creative lighting and arranging of the exhibits works nicely, and the route through the exhibits is logical and helps you flow through the place.  However, I'm posting the pics here out of sequence, simply... because of reasons.  There's also no pics of the bicycles, which were very interesting but they were a bit tricky to photograph.  The only slight issue I have with the place is calling it the museum of transportation, as really it is only about cars and bikes- there's a couple of lorries, couple of buses and some armoured cars, but no planes, boats, or trains, but like I say, minor quibble there.


Proper Jam Sarnie police car, something I rather like but then I probably spent too much time watching things like the Professionals and the Sweeny...


Arty shot in the wartime room.


My dream desk, and which cropped up in that fake book cover post I did last week.


I was experimenting with doing some close-ups on the engines, particularly of the motorbikes...


And then a ridiculously close-up shot of a radiator grille.  Slight shades of the credits from "Thunderbirds" with the close-up on the grille on Lady Penelope's Rolls Royce?

I was fascinated by the part of the museum with the car stripped down- nice to see so much laminated plywood like I used to work with in the last job.



When I was building the Jabberwock sculpture for the Alice in Wonderland show at Rydal, I became slightly sadly fascinated with headlamps which had a suitably eye-like appearance, and I got a little bit obsessed on this visit with antique car headlamps.






I do prefer the styling of older cars- all large grilles, and smooth curves, and protruding lamps.


Obviously, being in Coventry, there was a lot of Jaguar about, history, cars, and exhibits, so I photographed a bit of it.  Very interesting bit on the design of cars and the course they run to train designers at Uni.


The thing I was really interested in, the Land Speed Record holders- the "Thrust" cars.


Probably one of my favourite cars, I absolutely love the design of this, with its Batman-overtones.  Just a wedge of car built around a jet fighter engine, but so much presence.


So that was the brief trip to Coventry then.  Actually a pleasant town (and I managed to pick up a couple of Classic-era Dr.Who DVD's at a comic shop nearby, so bonus).

No comments:

Post a Comment