Sunday 26 May 2019

Chasing Trains... on the Cambrian Coast


One of the tasks I (Ben) had set myself whilst in Wales at Easter was to get some pics on the Cambrian Coast line.  The operating company has recently changed hands, and a newly-reliveried unit is trundling around up there.


One of the mags had chosen a pic I took way back last summer in Barmouth for a publication, and I mentioned to the editor that I was going to be back in that area and that I'd try and get a shot of this repainted class 158.  I managed to see it from a distance on the first Saturday we were in the area, but couldn't get a shot, but reckoned a day out in Barmouth might do the trick.

I thought it should be fairly easy; due to being used for a signalling trial there are hardly any trains that can run on this line, so statistically I ought to see the 158 at some point, with a train every hour.


First stop was Barmouth Viaduct, and whilst I was happy with the slightly abstract shot at the top of the blog post, my hope to get another pic with the iron part of the bridge in shot was slightly foiled by a couple of old gents who could see me with the camera and leaned right into the shot, resulting in an awkward crop on the right.


It did show that the angle was too tight to see the side of the train anyway though so the livery didn't show up (even if it had been the one I was after), so once we'd had lunch we walked out onto the promenade, where once again I didn't get to see the unit I was after.



With the behaviour of The Childs deteriorating a row brewing, we left early afternoon, having seen 4 services in the town, none of which were the repainted 158.  Still, got a shot I've wanted for a while on the Barmouth level crossing.


Finally!  With the sun setting, we headed out after tea and managed to see the repainted unit down by the beach at Criccieth.


For a variety of reasons I don't want to go into, this was probably the last train photograph I was happy with during the whole holiday, and though I'd planned to chase this unit for a better shot in the middle of the day later in the week, it ended up being the last chance I had come the finish.  Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment