Tuesday 7 May 2019

KWVR Spring Gala


Earlier in the year, the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway held their winter steam gala.  I was free to take some pics here and there over the weekend, but frankly the weather looked like being a bit manky (to use the technical term), the greenery in the valley was still dead, and it didn't fill me with too much enthusiasm.  Plus, I rarely manage to get train photographs from the steam galas into print as I'm competing with far more of the old hands.  Still, I thought I could keep my hand in, and find some locations for the more promising May diesel gala.


I'm still trying to perfect this low angle at Damems, shoving the camera under the level crossing gate, but it's a bit tricky and I get lots of odd looks off the station staff and other photographers.  I have had a shot from this angle printed last year in the KWVR's own mag, but I'm not too happy with it.  I probably won't bother with it during the Diesel Gala.


A pic which sums up the Friday- interesting train but dull lighting, dull weather.


The horrible weather meant that I had some usually busy spots to myself, such as Mytholmes Tunnel where "Bahamas" put on a spirited show.


Going for the arty shot back in Keighley- I've been writing an article for the railway on the lineside footpaths, and thought I'd have a go at getting some pics from them.  This is another of those shots I've been trying to get for years, I just wish the sky was a bit more dramatic.  And I couldn't get the theme tune from "Peaky Blinders" out of my head either whilst I was shooting the pics.


My new favourite angle- not trespassing, involves a bit of climbing and standing looking a bit of a buffoon to passers-by, but a nice pic (if it wasn't for those bloody telephone wires).


I liked it so much I went back for the demonstration freight on the Saturday morning.  What the shot cannot convey is the sheer brass-monkeys cold standing here exposed in a gale, with hands almost too cold to work the camera...


Sunday was a bit better, though in the space of an hour we had sun, rain, hail and snow.  Standing with the Gallery at Keighley, a spot I usually avoid because I don't like standing with 40 other people to get the same shots...



Ah, "Big Jim", always reliable for an unusual pic.  I needed plenty of reference pics of this beast, as I'm building a model of the loco for a photography project.


Back to the new favourite spot for the last shot before getting absolutely belted by a hailstorm.  Hopefully better weather for the Diesel Gala in May.
(EDIT- it generally wasn't.)

No comments:

Post a Comment