Sunday 19 May 2019

KWVR Diesels


Having found the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Steam Gala back in March a bit of a grey-sky washout, I'd been looking forward to the May Diesel Gala.  A bigger variety of brightly coloured trains, and (after the summer-like weather shortly beforehand) a promise of better weather.  Which naturally went to hell just before, when a cold front swept in, bringing frosts and rain.

Thursday.


The convoy of visiting locomotives arrived on the Wednesday (saw it, and not particularly successfully photographed it, whilst on the school run with The Childs).  Thursday though was a bit of a dry run, with one of the two visiting class 50's out on Driver Experience duties.  I was out for a bit of fresh air and heard it pass, so was able to get into a decent location for the return.  Shame about the flat white sky, I just had to hope it would be better on the Friday when I was free all day.

Friday.


The day dawned wet and miserable, though I was anxious to get a shot of the visiting prototype HST at my new favourite urban railway photography spot in Keighley, and headed down there regardless.  I actually was rather happy with how the pic turned out, even with the wet and overcast conditions.


Deciding that the weather might improve later through the day (ha), I headed up towards Haworth, and got a gloomy pic of the Caledonian Sleeper class 47.  I really wanted to get a pic of the HST again at the tunnel; the rain was at least keeping the other photographers away.  I actually had time to walk up to Haworth, visit the station shop, and get back and there was still nobody lurking at this usually-busy spot.


I managed to get another shot I was after, but again, that bloody tuppaware-lid sky...


Walking up the valley, I tried another spot I'd found earlier in the year when the HST was coming back, trying to make the most of the greenery to hide the sky.


I think this shot really sums up the day; nice angle I was happy with, nice train... but so gloomy.


About the last shot I bothered with, the recently-repainted GBRF class 50 which was also visiting.  Another example of how I was trying to make the most of the greenery to try and disguise that flat white sky.  Soaked through and a bit depressed, I knocked-off after lunch and gave it up as a bad job.

Saturday.


A much better day, weather-wise, on Saturday, though less chance for photography as we were out riding the trains en-masse as a family.


Photography was generally limited to diving-off the trains at the stations either end, grabbing a snap, and sprinting back on.


Still, a chance for a shot of the visiting DRS class 88, the most modern loco to run up the valley I believe.


The railway was running late into the evening, so after tea we came back for the novelty of a trip up and down the valley as the sun was setting.

Sunday.


We were going to watch the Tour de Yorkshire pass Haworth (see the separate post), and with parking in Haworth being horrible at the best of times, even when the police aren't barricading the roads, we decided to be responsible and use the train.  HST arriving at Ingrow; the novelty of riding in a modern (well 40 year old, but looks and feels modern) train up the valley was nice and unusual.


Speaking of unusual, the evening saw probably the oddest train I've photographed in preservation.  American-built S160 "Big Jim", running with British Rail double arrow logos, piloting the HST and a class 50 up the line.  Shame about the lighting, but I didn't have time to go further up the line to get somewhere with the sun on the right side of the tracks.

Monday.


Last chance for some photographs, and back to one of my favourite spots at the river at Ingrow/Damems, on a day where the weather was starting sunny but due to turn to hail and rain.


My other favourite spot, though it will be interesting to see how this changes later in the year when the bridge gets replaced.


Trying to make the most of the new houses as a photography location, as a bit of an experiment.


Another odd combination shot; the visiting research livery Class 31, being piloted by the resident 2MT.


At least by the Monday I managed a shot I was happy with of the 31, before the weather turned.

All I can say is thank goodness I had chances to take pictures on all 4 days of the gala; it reminded me too much of trying to combine railway photography with the job I had about 8 years ago, where I'd only have the Friday off and the weather would be invariably poor.  The KWVR put on a very good show, the trains were interesting and eccentric, we rode the railway for 2 of the 4 days and it was a really good atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment