Monday 3 June 2019

Islanded in a Stream of Stars... night shoot in Wales at Easter


Sorry about the pretentious title... seemed an apt phrase, even if it was just in my head after watching too much "Battlestar Galactica" recently (where the quote was an episode title)...

With the railway photography having been a bit of a bust whilst we were in Wales at Easter, on the last night of our stay I (Ben) took off for the hills to get some night photographs as I was feeling a tad frustrated and melancholy.  We'd been watching the meteor shower earlier in the night, and once The Childs were in bed, I took a stroll up into the hills.


This is usually Amy's gig, but perhaps wisely she elected to be the one staying at home in the warm.  It's the first time I've tried doing this sort of shoot with the new SLR and I spent a good hour just messing with the settings and taking odd shots.


There is another reason behind this; I'm planning on doing some night-time long exposure shots with miniatures in the Autumn which need a starscape in the background, and I wanted to see how it looked at this location.







Porthmadog in the distance providing a weird glow.


A bit of messing around in post-production with the settings, giving a somewhat Disney-background sky.


As a head-clearing exercise the night was a success, and it produced some weird images, but I definitely need to play around a lot more with the settings on this camera.  Should provide what I'm wanting for the miniatures shoot though, I'll just need to wait for some crisp, clear nights in the late Autumn...

No comments:

Post a Comment