Thursday 10 December 2020

Engine Shed Inspirations


Just a quick post today, we found some old shots on a memory card whilst looking for another project.


Back in 2019 I (Ben) did a miniatures shoot set in an engine shed, based on the paintings by David Shepherd.  The shoot was for a gallery open call, and the pictures were also featured in the October 2019 issue of Model Rail Magazine.


Anyway, when I was taking the pics, I was using some low-res shots from a visit to an engine shed as additional inspiration.  The shed in question is Loughborough, Great Central Railway, which I visited with some railway photography mates about a decade ago, and I honestly thought I'd lost the pics when a hard drive died.  Then I randomly turned up an ancient memory card with the shots on.


When we were kids, you could still wander pretty openly round engine sheds at preserved railways, but it's rare now except on guided tours, which is what we were on this day.


OK it's not as atmospheric as Mr. Shepherds paintings as all the locomotives are clean and there's no clouds of steam, but it was still useful visual reference.


It also wasn't possible to get too many photographs, but it was still a nice change from standing on a freezing hillside waiting for a train to pass (which is what I should be doing today as it happens!).


And I've been doing another shoot with miniatures and steam effects too, more on this in a future post.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment