Friday 19 April 2024

KWVR Easter Steam Gala


Having not done much in the way of railway photography over the manky winter, I (Ben) had been really, really looking forward to the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Spring Steam Gala.  To the extend that I'd booked the Friday off work, and had been thinking all week about which angles, locations, and so on I'd try.


Not the best start; after dropping The Childs off at school, I thought for a change I'd go to Haworth, but the path was occupied by these horses.  Not in the mood to creep through the osses, I headed in the other direction.


Not the best start to the day... plus the valley was absolutely heaving with photographers.


First ECS working; I ended up nipping down to the riverbank, away from where I wanted to be for the first southbound goods train.



Having been in place for 30 minutes, naturally another photographer came racing up at the last minute and stood fairly close to me.  Almost uncomfortably close.


I walked down towards Haworth for another shot, and once again, other photographers came and stood stupidly close.  Still, I was rather happy with the shot.


Back down towards Damems and Ingrow, and more photographers were knocking about, in the spots I'd hoped for.  A bit of improvisation and I got a pretty decent shot of one of the visitors.


The in-laws were on the trains, and I arranged to meet them for a brew in Keighley. 6990 running-round.


Back up the valley towards Oxenhope, a bit of waiting around for the trains, so I thought I'd get some nature shots.








Both visitors going past.  Lighting was a little awkward by the late-afternoon.



Then back home for tea.  Lots of other photographers around which made getting shots a bit tricky, and the mud and mess was a bit of a pain, but a nice day out nonetheless.  Plus, I was planning on returning for a night shoot, and to get a few more pics over the weekend for the angles I wanted but had missed.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment