Monday 8 July 2024

KWVR Diesel Gala 2024; Friday and Saturday



Whilst yesterday was very succesful in terms of photography, there was just so much running at the gala that there were several locomotives we'd missed, and angles we hadn't had chance to visit, so the plan was to fit in a few more pics around various other commitments over the weekend.


Saturday was a bit of a return to the unsuccesful form of a few months ago... I'd planned for a shot from the tunnel up at Haworth, but on arriving there, and photographing 37075 heading for Keighley, I found the location badly overgrown.  With only a short amount of time until the train I really wanted to photograph (the visiting EWS-liveried 37 on the goods) I raced back through Haworth towards Top Field.  Which I failed to arrive at, making do with a shot over the river which didn't work.


Heading back towards the town, I used the better angle (that I'd also used for the morning goods train during the steam gala).


The original plan was my usual spot on the river bank at Damems for a shot of the double-headed 37's later in the morning, but as ever for a weekend, there were Baddies in the woods.  A tent had been set up by some drunk teenagers, who were busily cocking about, and I didn't fancy getting rocks lobbed at me as I had earlier in the year.  So I ended up at Damems Station itself.


Much more pleasant.


The Yoofs had left by the time I walked back, so I waited around for the shuttle train with the Teddybear on one end, and the Hudswell-Clarke on the other.


Sunday saw less sunshine, and an early trip out to a bridge between Keighley and Ingrow for the goods train.  It was full Keighley too, the only vehicle which passed me at 8 on a Sunday morning was a horse-drawn trap.


We had other stuff on, during the Sunday, but I managed a shot of D32 whirring away like mad as it did a rare full-line passenger turn, seen at Bridge 11.  

Overall, a really good event; I'd been getting worried that with how busy I've been at work, I hadn't had much time for railway photography lately, but this was a great opportunity to get out in the sunshine and get some pics.  I still didn't manage shots of all the locomotives, or angles I wanted, and whilst all three of The Childs rode the trains, I didn't get chance this year but it was a fun few days nonetheless, especially the Friday.





No comments:

Post a Comment