Friday 5 July 2024

KWVR Diesel Gala 2024; the Friday



I (Ben) mentioned in the last post, with the Ffestiniog pics, that I was badly out of practise with the railway photography, and making rookie errors with finding locations and lighting.  To make up for it, I booked a day off work for the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Diesel Gala.  Elder child has finished their GCSE's so would be accompanying me.  Like all teenagers however, they were still in bed when the trains started running, so I headed out by myself for the first few trains.


My favourite angle, though the lighting isn't great at this time of the morning, and I've never had a shot published from here for some reason.  GBRF class 69 climbing out of Keighley.


A quick relocation to near the Globe Inn for a view over the former goods lines, to see D32 trundle past.


Going back to the house, Elder Child slowly getting up and dressed gave me a chance to go down the road to see the Teddybear trundle by with a goods train.


We walked up to Damems, which presented us with our first problem of the day- everything was madly overgrown after a damp Spring and a sudden burst of hot weather.


In fact, to escape the overgrowth for a south-facing shot, I ended up climbing a tree... somewhat less easy nowadays as I rocket into middle age than it was a decade ago.  Western heading for Keighley.


We hung around, sitting on the grass near Damems Station and having a picnic brunch.  Surprisingly it was pretty quiet, regards other photographers, and it was a lovely peaceful break waiting for "Western Champion" to return.


Father-in-Law was volunteering at the station cafe at Keighley so we went down there for a cold drink and a sit in the shade, and to see the Western again.  I've never really managed a decent pic of this class before, and I'm happy I got some nice pics of this design classic.  Misha Black knew what he was about when he styled these machines.


The sun was turning a bit hazy (and the hayfever becoming an issue) when we went up to Haworth.  As usual, Top Field was swarming with photographers, but for some reason (and in complete with the steam gala back in April), nobody was venturing further afield, so we had these woods to ourselves.


We could have stayed later, but I was getting sick of the pollen and sneezing, so we headed back with a plan to come back out in the morning for a few more shots of locomotives we'd missed...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment