Sunday 22 July 2018

Observe to Preserve... On The Beach


As mentioned in the last posts, the seaside photos for Observe to Preserve didn't go quite to plan, but right on the last night of the hol I got a chance to get a last few shots on a very nicely sunset evening, down at Criccieth.


The beach, on the north-west end of the town, was all but deserted (apart from a couple of drone operators who were puzzled about what on earth I was up to, and who meant the otherwise tranquil evening was soundtracked by the noise of wasps farting in a bean tin) so I got on with shooting.



For the first time in a while, the Mobile Field Studio model came out for use; though I quite like the model, I've had lots of problems shooting with this because it is difficult to scale to the surroundings, having to find something flat for it to sit on.


Then it was time to shoot some more with the Tower miniature.





The main concern here (apart from getting my feet wet- and I spectacularly failed avoiding that one) was trying to shoot in such a way that the waves didn't ruin scaling the shot- the pic above was taken on a rock around which the waves were breaking even as I snapped the pics.



Having mainly tried to do individual shots with each type of model, I tried combining the bomb disposal figure with the tower, which seemed to work nicely.


It was something of an experiment, combining the models.  Even though they are all to 1/32nd scale, I hadn't up to this point tried this, but it seems to work.  The only problem is having to carry all the models to a location at once, and it takes a fair bit of time to set-up and compose the shot.




On the way back to the car, I spotted this drainage channel, and reckoned it would make a good option for a less rural-looking setting, and with careful angles the scaling wouldn't be an issue and it might look sufficiently canal-like (given I had nothing else to set-dress the scene with).



I'm happy with the last shot, in hindsight the only thing I'd add if re-shooting would be some other sort of building perhaps to help scale things too.  I had thought that something like the perennial Airfix/Dapol girder bridge would do the trick (being as I was going for a '70's/80's miniature shoot for a TV prog' atmosphere, and the Airfix Girder Bridge Kit turns up absaloutely everywhere).  Maybe a return trip would allow for that sort of thing.

However, wanting a girder bridge in shot gave me an idea for another location back home...

No comments:

Post a Comment