Monday 5 December 2022

Autumn on the Ffestiniog Railway, 2022


Autumn can be both a good, and a bad, time for railway photography up in North Wales.  There tend to be fewer trains, and depending on the weather, pics can either be dull or glorious as the trees go over.


Early on in the holidays, I (Ben) took a walk around Tanybwlch with The Childs.  The day was a bit gloomy when we arrived, so Tuppaware skies all round- that said, having made the effort to go, we tried to make the best of it.  "Palmerston" brings up the rear of an afternoon train heading for Porthmadog, whilst we bought drinks at the station cafe.


Things had brightened up a bit by the time we got up into the woods themselves, as "Lyd" trundles around the curves.  Annoyingly the sun came out mere seconds after the train had passed...


"Merddin Emrys" a little later, and a little nearer the station.  Very happy with this shot, even if it is becoming a bit of a common shot by other photographers in the mags.  I tried to get a slightly different shot by scrambling through the undergrowth away from the path, and make the most of the autumn shades...


Towards the end of the week, I had a free morning, so went out to a spot I used to use a lot about 10 years back near Penrhydeudraeth.  The last time I came this way was about six years back.


It was surprising how quickly the trees had grown up around the area; the first time I came to this bit in the mid 2000's it was all trees, then they were felled, and now the fresh planting is really kicking into gear.


My first location was somewhere I'd first used back in about 2004, a former forestry level crossing.  Nice for low-angle shoots through the gates, but a little bland, surroundings-wise.


Incidentally, here's what it looked like when I used to come here, back in the day.  I rather liked it, when it was a railway threading through the trees.  I can't remember the exact date, it may have been 2004 or 2005, and it was "Prince" and "Merddin Emrys" on a train to Blaenau Ffestiniog.


I reckoned I'd need to make the most of the woodland location, given the dull sky, so pressed on towards Cei Mawr embankment.


This is a properly impressive bit of engineering, though needs a scramble to get to it.


Waiting for the train.


The first one came up, with "Pamlerston" piloting "Merddin Emrys" on a 'Mountain Spirit'.  Not a terrific shot, the camera struggled a bit with the lighting.  Normally wouldn't be too much of an issue, but with only two trains that morning, it was rather annoying that this shot didn't work out.


I'd sussed the right settings when "Lyd" came up half an hour later.  My last Ffestiniog shot of 2022, hopefully I'll be able to get back up there early next year though...

No comments:

Post a Comment