Friday 9 December 2022

Hornby Pic of the Year 2022 shoot


Back in October, I (Ben) heard that Hornby were hosting a competition for 'Model Shot of the Year'.  I thought it might be a tad cheeky entering the competition, being as I'd won a Hornby competition in 2022, but still thought it might be worth entering, and anyway, it motivated me to do some miniatures pics as a distraction from a busy period at work.


Lacking anything else, I decided to dig 'Spon Lane' out of storage.  It wasn't in too bad a condition, just needed a couple of wires re-soldering.  Annoyingly, only one of the humidifiers still worked though, so steam effects would be a bit limited compared to the last time I'd shot with it a couple of years ago.


I had a couple of newer models from the Hornby range, on one side for a possible magazine project, so I dug them out for the shoot.  First off, some night pics.


With the steam generator playing up, I shot some without, trying greyscale as well as colour.






With a tight deadline (because we'd been to Wales, I only had three nights in which to shoot, edit, and send-off the pics).  And with my current shift pattern at work, that meant about 40 mins of morning daylight before diving out to work.


Steam generator poking into the set a bit.





So yeah, I didn't get selected for the competition, but I was happy I was able to get some more shots.  At some point I'd love to do another, slightly larger, photo set based on this one with a few more angles available... a job for next year perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment